[racket-dev] amd64 out of memory

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 16 15:50:03 EDT 2013

At Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:57:40 -0400, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> On 2013-04-16 11:50 AM, Jon Rafkind wrote:
> > The PPA build has been failing the past 2 days or so for amd64 machines
> > due to the Racket VM running out of memory, usually during 'raco setup'
> > but not correlated with any specific collection.
>
> I have seen this behaviour after a 'raco pkg remove': during the
> post-removal re-setup, Racket ends up consuming all memory and swap on
> my machine. This machine has 32G of RAM and 40-something G of swap, so
> that's quite a lot of memory to fill :-)
>
> I'm not sure, but I think rerunning 'raco setup' after that has happened
> gets stuck doing the same thing.

Since I haven't seen this, any further information you can provide
would be useful.

Meanwhile, I've been meaning to make `raco pkg remove' setup only the
same collections that were setup for `raco pkg install' (minus any that
are gone after the uninstall), and I've pushed that change. I don't
expect that the change fixes the underlying problem that you're seeing.

Posted on the dev mailing list.