[racket-dev] Changing call/cc

From: Eric Dobson (eric.n.dobson at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 6 00:03:01 EDT 2012

The issue as I see it is that call/cc can replace all the code above a
prompt with a continuation captured from above a different prompt.
This can break the invariants that TR wants to enforce.

I proposed to Asumu on IRC the follow adjustment which I think gets
all the behavior that is wanted.

call-with-continuation-prompt adds the equivalent of a
dynamic-wind-frame after installing the prompt but before invoking the
thunk. This dynamic wind frame has no-op pre and post thunks. Invoking
a continuation captured by call/cc has the behavior that it has now if
there is shared dynamic-wind-frame between the current continuation
and the one being invoked. If there isn't then the whole continuation
up to the prompt is removed and the abort handler is called with the
appropriate composable continuation, such that if the abort handler is
the default then the behavior is the same as the old call/cc.

This gets us the following behaviors:
Code that uses call/cc but doesn't install any prompts works just as before.
The abort handler is called exactly whenever a continuation
application would replace the current continuation up to the prompt
with one that was captured from a different prompt.

This gets around the counter example that Asumu mentioned earlier,
because when k1 is invoked it put the original prompts dynamic-wind
frame in the continuation, so that when k2 is invoked they share the
same base and the effectful dynamic wind is not executed.