[racket-dev] Planet 2 Beta Release

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 15:28:03 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Asumu Takikawa <asumu at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On 2012-11-29 06:52:07 -0700, Matthew Flatt wrote:
>> The changes are small, so far, but the most prominent change is that
>> the interpretation of a package source is now determined syntactically.
>> If you want to install from a local directory "fish-tank", you need to
>> write
>>
>>  raco pkg install fish-tank/
>
> This is nice, I've been confused by the old behavior before.
>
> One thing that doesn't work (in either the old or current setup) is
> paths with "." or "..":
>   raco pkg install ./
>   raco pkg install ../
>
> Also, is there any reason why the `update` command can't work with
> packages from local directories?

It assumes that the directory won't be there anymore... I guess that's
a bad assumption.

> Or should I just use "--link" for these
> cases?

That is my suggestion to developers.

I think all installed packages should be either local links or named
by the naming service. All the other package source modes are for
people doing creative things, like maintaining their own sets of
packages for deployments, etc.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>