[racket-dev] Math library pushed

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 14:22:10 EST 2012

I just read the documentation. This is great stuff.

Some choices quotes and comments:

"[sum] is like (apply + xs), but incurs rounding error only once when
adding inexact numbers. (In fact, the inexact numbers in xs are summed
separately using flsum.)"

"Use (random-natural k) instead of (random k) when k could be larger
than 4294967087."

"[flhypot] computes (flsqrt (+ (* x x) (* y y))) in way that overflows
only when the answer is too large."

xrefs in "flfactorial" are broken.

All of fllog1p and flexpm1

xrefs in section 2.2 are broken

"In log space, exponentiation becomes multiplication, multiplication
becomes addition, and addition becomes tricky. See lg+ and lgsum for
solutions."

I like that "catastrophic cancellation" is a technical term in this document.

"flonum->ordinal" is ridiculous

The beginning of section 3 is interesting.

The example in the lambert section is neat.

xrefs in gamma-inc are broken, same with beta-inc

The inverse documentation (and a few other of the number theoretic
functions) have contracts errors that don't seem intentional

You should document the efficiency of prime?

You need racket/function in 4.5's evals

4.6 should use @link

All of 5.2 is fascinating

--