[racket-dev] merge commits and git bisect?

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 11 14:39:29 EST 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> Three hours ago, Robby Findler wrote:
>> Do merge commits cause git bisect to stop working?
>
> They shouldn't, AFAICT, but it might be harder to use it since you
> need to be aware of the non-linear structure when you choose a point
> to bisect.  But IIUC, it's generally useful even on projects that
> always use merge commits.

I've had trouble in the past (but I may just have gotten confused for
a not-very-good reason, I can easily admit that).

>> If so, can we forbid them on the server?
>
> I hesitate to do that since there are some cases where a merge commit
> makes sense.

So far, I've not seen the need. Can you say more about this?

Also, given how all of the ones we've had so far have been mistakes,
how about we forbid it and then, when necessary, unforbid, merge,
reforbid?

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.