[racket-dev] Planet 2 Beta Release

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 8 15:16:25 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> Jay: do you prefer off-line commentage?

No, this is fine.

> Meanwhile, I'll re-use some of Sam's text (I generally +1 all items
> that I have omitted):

I won't respond to points that I feel were answered re: Sam.

> 20 minutes ago, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
>>
>> * I think tying to GitHub is a mistake -- the system should work for
>> for arbitrary Git repositories.
>
> I very much agree with this -- but I don't want to see github support
> gone, just have it added as some plugin into the whole thing that can
> make github easier to work with.  With something like this it will be
> easy to write new ones for other places when people want them.
>

>> Having a short syntax for github is great, though.
>
> IIUC, the branch in the path is required, is that the case?  If so,
> then I think that it should really work without it too, to get the
> simple https://github.com/user/repo syntax.

Yes it is required. We could do that, right now there's not
assumptions like this (i.e. you always want master) anywhere else in
the system so I didn't do it.

>> * I think we should drop the `.plt` archive format entirely.
>
> +17.  I don't think that it can be removed completely though, but it
> definitely sounds like a mistake to use it as the default for creating
> new packages.
>

>> * It would be nice to have fewer special files.  For example,
>> `MANIFEST` could be abolished by just fetching the whole content of
>> the directory.  Checksums could be included in the `METADATA` file.
>
> +1 for fewer files.
>
> As for Sam's comment on MANIFEST -- I disagree with that -- it *is*
> required if you want to just make the files visible on some web page.
> (Since you cannot rely on a directory listing.)  It could be optional
> for formats that have a way to get that list though.

It is optional for those formats now. It is only used when you use the
remote directory URL source.

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay