[racket-dev] Getting Started & install instructions

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue May 1 16:30:54 EDT 2012

10 minutes ago, Asumu Takikawa wrote:

> What I was getting at is that there are no installation instructions
> linked from the Download page. What I mean is something like these:
>
>   * http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ "Three ways of installing Ruby"
>   * http://typesafe.com/stack/download "Installing the TypeSafe stack"A
>   * http://www.perl.org/get.html "Operating System information"
>   * http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/ see "After downloading" for each
>
> I didn't write anything like this in the Getting Started page
> because it seems like it'd make more sense to put it on the Download
> page and link to it.

Yes, that's a much better place for these kind of instructions.  We
had them in the past, but they became outdated and odd (for example,
there's no need to tell Windows users to run the installer and click
"next").  If you're willing to maintain such instructions, then the
right place to start is in "meta/web/download/installer-pages.rkt" --
look for "TODO" in that file.  That's just for putting text and seeing
how it looks, but if you do get the texts I can help putting it in the
right places (most likely it'll be wired in via "data.rkt" in the same
directory).

(This includes also installation from source, for those downloads.)