[racket-dev] consistency in names and signatures

From: Andy Gocke (agocke at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 18:59:37 EDT 2012

Putting aside the 8 (yeah, really) ways to report errors in Haskell, this
is the option provided by the Maybe (data Maybe a = Something a | Nothing).
While I see many benefits to this approach, I think contracts may provide a
new way out. In most typed languages the major constraint seems to be that
types are checked at compile time and limited in complexity. Contracts,
however, have practically unlimited power. The trick is that one would have
to incorporate some way to reify the calculation checked by the contract.
If you could get a hold of the value produced by contract checking then no
duplicate computation would have to occur inside the function. This is
especially relevant for functions like string->number because the most
obvious implementation checks validity during parsing -- checking the
validity and parsing basically duplicate the function.

Also, if one sees a sort of "inner" function post-contract-check and an
outer function including the contract check then one could even term the
inner function as total and the outer function as partial.

The advantages of this approach, as far as I can see, are that it removes
large amounts of failure checking and it encourages large amounts of
precondition code to move into the contract. Not only is this good for
documentation and interfaces, but it helps with my current project (random
testing through contracts).

2c

Cheers,
Andy