[racket-dev] racket virtual machine out of memory error

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Sat Mar 10 00:20:55 EST 2012

On May 16, 2011, at 11:25 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> At Mon, 16 May 2011 14:19:05 -0400, Stephen Chang wrote:
>>> This question is somewhat vague but I've been able to replicate it
>>> pretty reliably so I'll ask anyways. I'm running redex-check for a
>>> long time and after about 6-8 hours, drracket crashes with a "racket
>>> out of virtual memory" error. This is on Windows 7. The machine has
>>> lots of physical ram but no swap memory. Would this cause the crash?
>>> As another data point, I successfully ran the same redex-check'ing on
>>> a linux machine with less physical memory for several days. I've
>>> attached the relevant events from the windows log.
>>
>> Sorry, I meant to say, the error is "Racket virtual machine has run
>> out of memory", as in the crash log.
>
> Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit build? I ask because a 32-bit Racket build
> under Windows is restricted to 2 GB of virtual address space.

I've just seen this error when running a racket web server on a VPS running linux--not Windows---with 4GB of ram. Is this likely the same error?

In this case, the process itself shouldn't be using more than 100MB or so of live data, but perhaps it just never collects and constantly increases the virtual memory address space?

Forgive my ignorance,

John Clements