[racket-dev] Any notion of ".jar" files for Racket?

From: Brian Mastenbrook (brian at mastenbrook.net)
Date: Tue Mar 6 15:43:21 EST 2012

On 03/06/2012 01:14 PM, Danny Yoo wrote:
> One of the things I'm encountering on the Brown network file system,
> is that the number of files loaded by DrRacket causes some strain on
> their systems.  I checked with the admins here, and by their count,
> opening up DrRacket or doing things with 'raco make' can open about a
> thousand files at startup time.

You can trace this on a Mac with dtrace like so:

sudo dtrace -n 'syscall::open*:entry /execname == "DrRacket"/ {
printf("%s",copyinstr(arg0)); }' > drracket-files

then open DrRacket. On Linux, the right invocation is something like:

strace -e trace=open -e signal=none drracket

On my system, DrRacket 5.2.1 opens almost 1800 files to start. The vast
majority (1376) are .zo files, and another 133 are uncompiled .rkt files
from the Racket distribution.
--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net