[racket-dev] math collection [was: Hyperbolic functions]

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 14:12:14 EDT 2012

FWIW, I agree with Robby and have had similar conversations with Sam
in person. (Although for me it is that I wish I had the ability to
claim that macro pieces had certain types regardless of what TR could
infer from the generated code.)

I think a big part of the Racket philosophy is that the programming
language implementer is not a member of an elite, enlightened caste
that can make choices mere mortals cannot. This philosophy is the root
of what I find beautiful about macros, continuations, first-class
synchronization, and structure type properties, for example.

Although I am not directly writing anything for the TR implementation,
I have opinions about the goal of that project. To me, it is not
"figure out a type system that is passable for Racket programs" but
"make a type system that is to existing type systems as Racket is to
pedestrian languages" ---- in particularly, by allowing more
extensions (type or otherwise) to be done in language.

I see Robby's point about contract / type isomorphism and mine about
more powerful type macros as steps in that direction.

<3

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>