[racket-dev] Trouble with state, submodules, and module-begin

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 25 17:50:27 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> I think I misunderstood your complaint. If you change the example to
>
>  (module+ sub
>    (#%module-begin (m)))
>
> then there's no error. So, I think you're running into the old
> only-form-in-module-just-might-expand-to-#%module-begin problem.

Sorry, that was a confusing red herring on my part.  I now think I
understand what's going wrong.  I've revised the gist to be a more
complete representation of what's going on in TR.  The problem (I
think) is that the implicit `require` of `(submod "..")` happens
*before* the expansion of `#%module-begin` inside the submodule.  The
key bit of code is the residual snippet left in the outer module:

         (begin-for-syntax
             (when (unbox is-typed?)
               (set-box! type-env 1)))

Currently, in TR, the code in the begin-for-syntax is unconditional,
and therefore it gets re-run in the store used for expanding the inner
submodule.  However, if I add the `when`, then the `set-box!` doesn't
happen, and the expansion of `m` fails.  I'd like to be able to add
this conditional, so I'd like to change the order of effects slightly
here.

--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu