[racket-dev] check-syntax hack: patch to show how many uses an identifier has

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed Jun 20 22:57:09 EDT 2012

John Clements wrote at 06/20/2012 10:48 PM:
> When I'm using online check syntax, I often look at the lines leaving
> an identifier and wonder: is that just one line, or are there two or
> three? When lines overlap, there's no easy way to tell. This can be
> important in refactoring decisions, or in debugging (how many uses of
> this thing are there to check?).

Yes, I've wondered this too.  And in large files, it's often really hard
to tell, like in your first screenshot.

Maybe, if the mouse hovers over the center point of a binding
identifier, there's a tooltip that shows useful info, such as how many
references (maybe in what procedures?), and whether it's provided by the
module.  (I haven't thought about submodules, though.)

Neil V.

Posted on the dev mailing list.