[racket-dev] Error message structure (error-message overhaul)

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed Jun 20 12:32:07 EDT 2012

Eli Barzilay wrote at 06/19/2012 08:11 PM:
>    * There's a whole range of tools that work with the usual
>      "file:line:vol: message" per line format -- Emacs compilation
>      buffer, the on-line-check-syntax-like error highlighting, log
>      parsers, etc.  (The emacs on-line checking is something that two
>      people already noticed as a victim...)

FWIW, I think I can make the Emacs stuff work better with the new error
message format.

On a related matter, it's helpful when file names in error messages
contain a complete path.  (Prior to these new error messages, for
example, "raco setup" would produce a mix of relative and absolute paths
in error messages.)

Performance-wise, for exceptions involving paths, if resolving a
complete path happens to be expensive... If the site that constructs an
"exn" that includes a relative path also has a way to include in the
struct a complete path to which the path in question is relative, that
would let error message rendering show a full path without slowing
things in cases in which the exception is handled without rendering the
path.  Or maybe resolving a complete path is relatively inexpensive in
cases in which we'd want to raise and handle an exception with a path.

Neil V.

Posted on the dev mailing list.