[racket-dev] writing numbers to files is unfortunately slow

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 6 03:18:14 EDT 2012

The `write' function is complex in the general case to handle all sorts
of things (such as cycles or custom-write functions), but I've
streamlined the path for printing numbers so that it's a little faster
than `number->string' + `write-string'.

FWIW, you can get another 20% by lifting out the parameter lookups:

 (define (go n)
   (define p (current-output-port))
   (define r (current-pseudo-random-generator))
   (for ([i (in-range n)])
     (write (random MAXINT r) p) (newline p)))