[racket-dev] A Const type constructor

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 31 14:36:06 EDT 2012

On Jul 31, 2012, at 1:31 PM, Neil Toronto wrote:

> To reiterate after my absence: I won't write a typed math/vector until using its exports in Typed Racket wouldn't be a huge friggin' PITA.

Let me rephrase this ever so gently. Typed Racket has failed at least one real test for now, namely, writing a highly usable math library. I think this is a fair judgment, and you are posing the obvious, not so implied problem to the TR maintainers to fix this problem. They should thank you on their knees, especially Vincent.

> To offer a carrot instead of a stick: There could be a short paper in this, titled "The Case for a Clean, Correct, Covariant Const".

That is what I was thinking as I was reading your message. I have not encountered such a proposal/language before, and I think it could be a really neat extension of Vincent's PADL work. Perhaps the two of you should work out the details together and submit follow-up to PADL n+1. Oh never mind, D stands for declarative. So ship it to ICFP next year, functional languages do include mutation.

-- Matthias