[racket-dev] `compatibility' (was: [plt] Push #25038: master branch updated)

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 30 16:00:12 EDT 2012

On Jul 30, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Vincent St-Amour wrote:

> The main advantage (IMO) of having, say, mutable lists in
> `compatibility' is that searching the docs points there instead of to
> `racket'. This makes it clear that they are not a blessed Racket
> feature. This is (IMO) the main point of the `compatibility' collect.

I fully and enthusiastically agree with this perspective but I don't think this is high on our list of things to do.

When we consider such moves, we should always consider the opportunity cost. What could I accomplish instead?

Having said that, I would like to propose that we COPY files/subcollections from racket/ to compatibility/ (and keep them in sync) if we wish to indicate that they are not really rackety.

-- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.