From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 12 16:57:27 EDT 2012

On Jul 12, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

>  I think that the single directory is ultimately easier to deal
>  with, even when there is a package system that can keep track of
>  files in different places.  There are *many* advantages that you can
>  get out of it.  To name a few:
>  - It's easy to switch things around so that collects/foo is actually
>    in its own repository, managed separately from the whole tree (and
>    I think that getting to that point is absolutely inevitable)
>  - It's easy to package it up and ship it somewhere -- just zip it,
>    and send it with instructions for where to unzip it.
>  - Things like ownership become very easy: you know that if it's in
>    xrepl/* then you complain to me, and it's easy for me to see when
>    someone else commits to xrepl so I can look at it.
>
> * Having said that, note that it isn't completely disjoint from using
>  the directory structure in a way that follow its use -- the only
>  thing is that the main "package name" comes first, and then a
>  subdirectory like "tool" or "tests".

I think we're actually in agreement. I never liked tests/foo; I always wanted foo/tests.

All I regret is that we have a very shallow structure now, and I think it would have helped if we had stuck to about a dozen or so categories after all.

But whatever, too much water under the bridge so let's continue muddling.

Posted on the dev mailing list.