[racket-dev] Deprecating collects

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jul 10 21:05:15 EDT 2012

An hour and a half ago, Robby Findler wrote:
> On this front, this-expression-source-directory is, for nearly all
> purposes, worse than define-runtime-path.

I think that there are some rare uses that can use
`this-expression-source-directory'.  Not for things that you depend
on, but for code that actually wants to know where it is in the
filesystem.  For example, code that knows how to update itself, wants
to package its own source tree, or wants to remove ".git*" files from
itself.  In such cases you don't want to add a "." runtime path,
because they're not uses that imply a dependency.

But perhaps the difference is too subtle to be worth keeping.  Or
maybe there should be something like the runtime-path tool that
doesn't add a depencency.