[racket-dev] Deprecating collects

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 10 15:30:33 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Recently, we've made some progress on getting rid of parts of our
legacy codebase (e.g., mzlib/class100). Since a release is coming up,
that is an opportunity to do more cleanup.  Vincent and I have been
brainstorming what other collections could be set on a 1-year
deprecation & removal notice.

Here is a list of potential collections to deprecate with accompanying
rationales. Some of these may still be useful and worth keeping
around; we may have missed some of their use cases. This is just a
first stab at it:

- combinator-parser
    This library only has .txt documentaiton and looks bitrotted.
    There are no users of this collection as far as we know and
    it's unlikely to gain any (due to lack of documentation).
- test-box-recovery
    A library for compatibility with the pre-v360 DrScheme format
- tex2page
    Undocumented and it's unclear how it's related to Racket
- defmacro in mzlib
    mzlib in general, but this one in particular because it is highly
    misleading for newcomers (who think it's a blessed macro facility).
    Has no real users in the core codebase (there are two requires
    in benchmarks but no uses)
- mzlib
    Most of this library has been superceded and the rest should
    probably either be moved elsewhere (e.g., mzlib/control) or
    removed.
- mzscheme
    This is a superceded, legacy language

Some of these collections may have users outside of the codebase, but
they are likely running on older versions of Racket anyway. Some of
these collections could be turned into PLaneT packages instead.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.