[racket-dev] Trouble with state, submodules, and module-begin

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 3 11:05:52 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Thoughts so far:
>
> I think you need a new communication channel to get information from
> the expansion of an enclosing module to the expansion of its submodule.
>
> Expansion-time state is the right kind of channel, but I think it's
> important to start every submodule's expansion in a fresh store, at
> least usually. Otherwise, many syntactic extensions won't work
> correctly in a submodule.
>
> To give the programmer more control, we could add a
> `local-expand-submodule' function that is like `local-expand', but (1)
> it works only for `module' and `module*' forms in a 'module context,
> and (2) it accepts module paths to attach from the current expansion
> context to the submodule's expansion context.
>
> Using this addition, when expanding a `(module* name #f ....)'
> submodule, Typed Racket could attach a compile-time module that houses
> the "in a typed context" flag --- the same one that Typed Racket's
> `#%module-begin' sets. Does it sound like that would work?

I believe that this would work, and I'll use it if it's provided.

However, I don't (yet) think it's the right solution.  In particular,
I feel like this moves away from the really great feature of
submodules, which is that they behave basically exactly like regular
modules.  From what I can tell, the only place where this uniformity
breaks down currently is with `(module* name #f ....)', where the
outer module is `require`d *before* the inner module starts expanding.
 In other words, if we have:

(module M L
   (module* N #f ...))

currently `M` is required *before* `N` begins expanding, which is
unlike any other module relationship that can be expressed in Racket
(I think).  You said in your earlier mail that you don't think it
makes sense to change this ordering.  Can you expand on the reasons
why?

--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu