[racket-dev] Using licensed code

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Sun Jul 1 04:14:43 EDT 2012

Hi,

2012/7/1 Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org>

> Three hours ago, Neil Toronto:
>

> > [*] Unfortunately, the `science' collection has a license problem:
> > the stated license (LGPL) at the top any of its files can't be the
> > actual license if the file was derived from the Gnu Science Library
> > (GSL), which is GPL. Most of the files I'm interested in converting
> > to Typed Racket are from the GSL.
>
> GPL is a problem.

I would absolute *love* to get proper linear algebra libraries.
With proper I mean that areas such as eigenvalue computations
and singular value decomposition is included.

The license of GSL is of course a problem. The readline
solution doesn't really fit well in this context.

However GSL is not the only matrix library out there. LAPACK (
http://www.netlib.org/lapack/) has license that fits better.

The code is in Fortran 90 though, so it might be harder to
translate directly. That said, it might make sense to
go the FFI-route for matrix computations. Getting the details
right for the more advanced algorithms is hard, very hard.

--
Jens Axel Søgaard