[racket-dev] OS X 10.8 includes new restrictions on running apps

From: Brian Mastenbrook (brian at mastenbrook.net)
Date: Wed Feb 22 18:42:55 EST 2012

On 02/22/2012 04:25 PM, Norman Gray wrote:
> All very entertaining, but it doesn't actually answer your question.  I'm afraid I can find neither chapter and verse, nor exegesis, which makes it clear what the default will be.

Rich Mogull from TidBITS has written an article about Gatekeeper. He's a
smart and well-informed guy, so I'd expect his explanation to be accurate.

http://tidbits.com/article/12795

"In the middle setting, you can also install applications from
identified developers. This code isn’t reviewed or sandboxed, but it is
code-signed to eliminate the possibility of tampering after the fact.
Since Apple Developer IDs tie back to a registered member of the Apple
Developer Program, there is also some attribution if a malicious
application is issued, and, once it has been discovered, Apple can
immediately blacklist that digital certificate to protect the rest of
the user population."
--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net