[racket-dev] Possible promotional poster (with apologies to Matthias)

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 18 11:23:40 EST 2012

On 02/18/2012 09:03 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Sat, 18 Feb 2012 08:56:22 -0700, Neil Toronto wrote:
>> Jay had a cool idea to make propagan--er, promotional posters. The
>> attached SVG isn't the style Jay wanted (like the Obama "Hope" posters)
>> but I kinda like it. It's here:
>>
>> http://students.cs.byu.edu/~ntoronto/matthias-poster.svg
>>
>> Comments and criticisms?
>
> Promotional posters sound like a good idea, but I don't see "you're
> wrong" as a good way to start a conversation about Racket.

Well, there goes my "Ryan C. decked out like a rapper, with 'YOUR MACROS
ARE WEAK'."

I was hoping the "LOL cats" style would be amusing enough to offset any
rudeness. At any rate, the message is the easiest thing to change. We
just need something Matthias-y.

Here are the other two ideas I've had:

[Ryan C. Picture (not really dressed like a rapper)]
YOUR MACROS ARE WEAK
Robust, debuggable compiler extension. Only in Racket.

[Sam T. Picture]
TYPED AND UNTYPED
Living in harmony. Convert scripts to programs.

I'm not sure what poses I'd have them in. I'd probably ask for a few
hi-res photos. Don't worry - I'd draw it flatteringly just like
Matthias's. :)

I've been trying to come up with poster messages for Jay (web), John C.
(stepper/teaching), Matthew, and Robby. Another angle: what aspects of
Racket do we want to advertise?

Neil ⊥

Posted on the dev mailing list.