[racket-dev] Google Summer of Code

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 14 22:26:01 EST 2012

On 2012-02-14 09:58:12 -0800, John Clements wrote:
> I sent an e-mail to Asumu about a week ago that sneakily tried to get him to take responsibility, and it sounds like he might be on it. If not, I'll take the lead. Asumu?

I'm still up for it. The application process starts on the 27th but we
should do some preparation for it.

First of all though, are people interested in this? If we're accepted,
any students we get are paired up with mentors, so we'll need some
people to volunteer for that. Probably not too many though.

The mentor's responsibility is to get their student up to speed with the
codebase/language & community, check up on progress (once or more a
week), and formally evaluate the student.

Other things we'd need:
  * an ideas list (the github page should do, with some modifications)
  * organization admin (I could do this, or anyone else more
    appropriate) and backup admin.
  * people willing to review student applications

Also, the mentoring org. receives $500 per student who passes final
evaluations so an IRS W-9 form is needed for tax purposes.

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.