[racket-dev] new logo

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 12 19:41:23 EST 2012

On 02/12/2012 01:04 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> 20 minutes ago, Vincent St-Amour wrote:
>> At Sun, 12 Feb 2012 11:01:44 -0800,
>> John Clements wrote:
>>> I like this general idea. It seems to me that we're headed toward
>>> some kind of translucent ball with bands around it.  If the
>>> sideways band is more visible through the ball, you get the "R"
>>> effect that people are seeing.
>>
>> This loses the parentheses, and doesn't really look like an "R"
>> anymore. The "band" effect on my sketch was an accident, I was going
>> for parentheses.
>
> +1, at least in that sketch.  (The translucency seems like it would
> get in the way of making it back into an "R".)  I had tried the plain
> parens first (just mirrored and flipped the one on the RHS), and got
> pretty much the same thing you posted.  But the "lambda with arms"
> result wasn't looking well, and it certainly lost the "R"-ness of the
> one-paren version, hence the attempt at fading it.  I also agree that
> that doesn't look good, I was hoping that someone would have an idea
> on how to make it work.
>
> Overall, I think that the single-paren version really works well,
> especially in terms of the simplicity feature (which can work in less
> capable mediums).  Neil(T): Is there an easy way to dip it in plastic?
> (I want to play with it more and see how it would look in a less
> sketchy way.)

Not an easy way, no. But the logo should stand on its own without any
lighting effects. If we're collaboratively designing a logo, we should
do it utterly flat.

FWIW, I haven't liked any of the proposals as much as I like the
original PLT lambda and the plain lowercase "r".

Neil ⊥

Posted on the dev mailing list.