[racket-dev] long double for racket

From: Michael Filonenko (filonenko.mikhail at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 06:05:08 EST 2012

Hi all.

I have prepared a new version of the patch (attached).
It is supposed to be applied after (not instead) the first one.
Please let me know if you would prefer a cumulative patch.

> I don't think we should use "l" in literal numbers to mean extfl,
> because those literals are currently numbers. In other words, using "l"
> for extfls would be a backward-incompatible change. I think we may need
> to leave "l" as `double' and pick a different letter to indicate `long
> double'.

OK, I have changed the "l" suffix to "t", which stands for
assembler's "tword".

> Much of the cut-and-paste is difficult to abstract over, but I worry
> about the amount of cut-and-paste in the JIT. The inlined arithmetic
> functions, like scheme_generate_arith(), seem like too much to
> duplicate.

I agree with that; I have tried to eliminate duplication. Please see
the patch, I hope that the refactoring is OK. I would be glad to hear
any comments.

I am now leaving for holiday till January 9. In the new year, I am
willing to continue working on the patch, including proper unboxing,
testing on mingw, running Neil's tests for flonums, etc.

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year!

Regards,

Michael