[racket-dev] Feature request - contract form that splits provide/contract into two parts

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 27 17:42:16 EST 2012

I have clarified the interface specification part of the Style guide.
The original draft was written before contract-out existed. I have
rewritten all provide/contracts into provide plus contract-out.

Having said that, I absolutely, definitely think that a tool
chain should also support a tool that extract the implemented
service interface of a module.

As a PL person, my preference is to express all elements of
programming with linguistic mechanisms -- because the ultimate
information processor is a programmer and I claim that a
programmer uses language to think. If we cannot or do not
wish to enforce a particular style via a linguistic mechanism,
it is due to all kinds of reasons but we should not fall back
on tools as our sole way to understand programs. Tools should
complement our thinking; we should not substitutes tool for
thinking.

On Dec 16, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Harry Spier wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Matthias Felleisen
> <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> So, if you want to be good, put provide contract-out at the top
>> of your module.
>
> How about having a link on the Racket webpage to the Style Guide for
> this and other style issues?
>
> Harry Spier

Posted on the dev mailing list.