[racket-dev] Planet 2 Beta Release

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 8 22:56:32 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:

> > One other thing that I think is important in a migration path is
> > keeping any modification made to the source of the packages that are
> > already installed.
>
> Yeah -- and IIUC, the difference between the two installations is
> where the packages get installed is where the compiled files are, so
> the sources are the same.  At least I *hope* that that's how it is,
> otherwise it's back to the whole planet "cache" things, which IMO was
> a major mistake.

They are in the same place. However, I thought the whole premise of this
proposed behavior is that the package won't work in the new version of
Racket, so certainly the package system can't be responsible for doing a
merge your local changes and whatever the updated version of the package
needs.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>