[racket-dev] Planet 2 package names

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 3 15:03:17 EST 2012

Currently (the latest nightly build), the names of Planet 2 packages are
restricted to use only the characters a-z, A-Z, _, and -.  The current set
of Racket collections, on the other hand, uses a-z, 0-9, and -.  Planet 1
also has several packages using 0-9.  We need to add digits to the set of
valid names if we want 2htdp, algol60, planet2 (itself!), r5rs, and r6rs to
be "package-friendly".  I know if I were to release a package named after
ACL2 somehow, I'd be hard-pressed to figure out what to do with the "2".

Planet 1 packages and Racket collections also don't use A-Z (with one or
two exceptions on Planet).  In theory, we could disallow those characters
and gain compatibility with case-insensitive mediums such as the default
Mac OS X filesystem.  I'm not particularly attached to this second
proposal, but since it leads to potential errors I thought it was worth
bringing up.  If we leave both cases in, we at least need to make sure
programs that run on Windows and Unix don't break on Mac due to package
names conflicting on the filesystem.

Carl Eastlund