From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 22 21:39:38 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-22 19:51:34 -0500, Robby Findler wrote:
> I had imagined that one would mostly leave it open and use f2 to close
> it when it was too big and open it again when there is a question. In
> other words, using the mouse to hover over the arrow is mostly what
> I'd imagined people would only do if they didn't know about the f2
> binding.
>
> Do you know about it? (If not, I guess it isn't as discoverable as I'd
> hoped it would be.)

I knew about the binding and the lock/unlock button, which are pretty
convenient. It does still mean you have to move the mouse & click, and
then press f2 to get the information though (as opposed to just hover
over the binding and it pops up automatically).

Also, I think the current behavior could be confusing in some cases.
Here's an imaginary workflow (_ is insertion point):

  (require_ racket/function
            racket/list)

Press f2, get a box showing the info for `require`. That's good. Press
f2 again to hide it. But then you move the insertion point:

  (require racket/function_
           racket/list)

Press f2 again. I might be expecting DrRacket to show me information
about the `racket/function` module, but instead it shows me the grammar
of require. Maybe it should show nothing if the insertion point is not
currently on an identifier it can show meaningful info about?

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.