[racket-dev] pr 12683 and using something like text:nbsp->space?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 19 14:16:32 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> Yes, normalization doesn't deal with those spaces. It does change the
> text in ways that are unfriendly and I often tell DrRacket "no" when
> it asks about normalization. I just wanted to put that into the mix
> for this conversation, since it is a place that has to deal with
> similar issues.

I propose a backtrack my current patch, and instead to do the following:

---

* Add a set of choices in the editor Preferences pane, with the
following options:

    Treatment of Unicode zero-width characters (such as zero-width spaces):

    1. Preserve them.
    2. When introduced, prompt a dialog choice to delete them.
    3. Automatically delete them.

with the default preference to be option 2.

* Collect the set of zero-width characters.  Zero-width spaces, of
course, but also see what other Unicode characters exhibit similar
weird behavior.

* Develop a mixin class specific to DrRacket (outside the framework)
to implement this behavior.

---

Does that sound right with everyone?

Posted on the dev mailing list.