[racket-dev] [racket] Question about round

From: Vincent St-Amour (stamourv at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 30 14:17:37 EDT 2011

At Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:08:07 -0600,
Matthew Flatt wrote:
> Doesn't it already? The docs say
>
>   `Integer' includes only integers that are exact numbers,
>   corresponding to the predicate `exact-integer?'.
>
> Even if the type were currently `Exact-Integer', it sounds like you
> mean just renaming to `Integer'.
>
> I think a change to the number hierarchy would mean changing functions
> so that they produce different results on particular inputs than they
> do now. That doesn't seem to be a part of Vincent's suggestion.

You are correct. My proposal only involves renaming functions, and
introducing a couple of new ones.

The goal of that proposal is not so much to change the Racket numeric
tower, but rather to clear up the confusion regarding what's an
integer and what's not, to align it better with what (I believe) users
expect.

Vincent

Posted on the dev mailing list.