[racket-dev] bug reports: include prefs file?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Sep 27 23:09:32 EDT 2011

The prefs seem potentially more sensitive than the info traditionally
hidden behind "Show Synthesized Info".

I'd like to see the "Show Synthesized Info" button go away, if you're
going to include sensitive prefs in the info.  Either the information
should be exposed while user is writing bug description, or there should
be a confirmation step after submitting, that pops up a window that
presents this info that will be added to the bug report and gives them a
chance to edit or opt-out of it.  An advantage of exposing during
writing bug description is that the user then knows what info is
provided automatically, so they don't waste time on it.  Implementing
the confirmation dialog seems easiest right now, because you can mostly
just take the code for "Show Synthesized Info", and you don't have a UI
design&implementation problem for how to expose the info while writing
description.

I'm not only being a privacy hippie here.  I know of Racket projects in
which the collects info alone (which Dr* has long included in bug
reports) could threaten business opportunities of the owner of the code,
would raise concerns about security that people would then be obligated
to examine, and could also constitute the bug submitter violating an NDA
or other restrictions on how they handle certain info.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/