[racket-dev] Fwd: [clipperz] Re: Marketing Ideas

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Fri Sep 9 15:11:28 EDT 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Jon Rafkind wrote:

> Is there any correlation between number of likes and well.. anything?

Everyone else is doing it.  I know Matthias will go for that one.

In the "I read it on the internet" category, this page

http://www.social-networking-success.com/facebook-likes.html

suggests that facebook fans are worth $137.84 apiece.

More seriously, this page argues that people who click on links like that will feel some kind of brand loyalty to Racket for years to come.  Given what I know about human psychology, I would tend to agree.  Making choices like this is a self-reinforcing process.  Having chosen something (a political party, a brand of toilet paper, a text editor), people will seek to validate their earlier judgment by sticking to that thing and defending it.

So yes, I see value in it.

John