[racket-dev] drRacket Close/Close tab

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 1 11:55:09 EDT 2011

Okay, thanks everyone for the comments. Generally speaking, I dread
keybinding-based discussions because it is impossible to make everyone
happy (and usually only the unhappy people speak up :).

Still, I think you folks are right that changes need to happen. I've
looked over various apps and the guidelines and whatnot and (yep, I
buy the argument that 'Terminal and Safari don't follow the HIG so why
should we?'.) so here's the changes I've just pushed.

Mac OS X & Windows :

- renamed "Close" to "Close Window" (but kept the keybinding
switchero-ness as is)

Gtk:

- changed the menus so there is only one "Close" menu (no "Close Tab"
or "Close Window"); if there are multiple tabs, it closes the tab
otherwise it closes the window. To close the window in the multiple
tabs case, you have to use the close box (or maybe alt-f4 if the
OS-level keybindings map it to closing the window).

All platforms:

- changed "New Tab" to <menukey>-t

- changed "Run" to <menukey>-r

- changed "Replace" to <menukey>-shift-f

Please let me know if you spot any problems.

Thanks,
Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.