[racket-dev] 5.2.0.1: displayln appears to write to console from where drracket was launched

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 20 09:24:04 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2011, at 8:21 AM, Robby Findler wrote:
>
>> I also believe that we don't support these programs well as it is.
>
> I didn't program with closures until I experienced them in Scheme 84 in 1984.
> Perhaps people haven't programmed in syntax REPLs because there aren't any.
> But then again, perhaps people see no need. I do start seeing a need and I
> am surprised why we haven't thought of this before. Or someone has and I can't
> recall -- Matthias

Just to clarify: my "these programs" refers to programs that, at
compile time, make network connections, or call out to gcc. Are you
making an argument that we should be supporting them better? (If so,
then Eli is right and we should not base a syntax-time REPL on online
check syntax.)

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.