[racket-dev] plea for short planet syntax in student languages?

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 6 10:16:21 EDT 2011

What they import is orthogonal to the syntax for importing.

> How about this experiment: everyone teach in plain Racket for a while
> and see whether teaching language restrictions are really needed.

That would be a good experiment.  My own suspicion is that getting rid
of implicit begin will prove to be absolutely vital, and will cover
about 75% of all the problems.  There may be one or two more important
cases, followed by a very long tail.

But if we only think in terms of language restrictions, I don't think
we'll make much progress -- unless we're willing to also consider
(small) language changes (eg, replacing "define" with "defvar" and
"deffun" so we can better distinguish intent and thereby provide
better errors).

Shriram

Posted on the dev mailing list.