[racket-dev] Transparent Structures in XML Library

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Mon Oct 3 17:52:09 EDT 2011

On Oct 3, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Doug Williams wrote:

> There are ways around it like that. For example, I'm trying to get in the habit of using ~.s in printf's where it might occur. But, I think it would be easy in this case to just fix the real problem.

I don't think I would agree that #:transparent is the problem here; #:transparent means "yes, anyone can use the reflective properties to discover how many fields this structure has, what the mutators are, etc."  It's not fundamentally about printing.

So I think that a separate control on printing is definitely the right way to go, and in particular, the ~.s choice seems like it might just solve the problem completely.

No?

John