[racket-dev] [racket] Disable/Enable Tests

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 28 11:54:06 EST 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 8:39 AM, Kathy Gray wrote:

> I don't recall our original reasoning, but I envision that with such a macro students will think they are only disabling the tests "below" the "call" and become confused. This isn't to say we shouldn't switch to a macro

I propose

1. to remove the menu and its functionality
2. to add a macro disable-tests-below
3. and be prepared to add a macro enable-tests-below.

disable-tests-below would be provided by Kathy's test-engine library and would thus flow into the teaching languages.

I argue that enabling and disabling tests is a programmatic issue and not an IDE issue. In full-fledged testing frameworks, programmers have many more ways to manage the testing process than in *SL but they certainly have enable/disable. Adding these constructs to the library would resolve this issue uniformly for all uses.

I argue that the name should be that long to rule out any ambiguities.

I would like to see Kathy add these features to the library, plus tests. And I would like whoever is responsible for the menu items to remove them.

Thanks -- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.