[racket-dev] [racket] DrRacket needs work

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 27 15:02:32 EST 2011

Moving to dev.

16x16 is tiny! But I can see why. I've attached my current toolbar,
which uses all 22px icons. They look a bit big.

I'm doing more than just replacing icons. We need abstractions. Not
having them is partly why DrRacket's icon set looks old and
inconsistent. So here's what I've been working on.

1. SVG icon sources in icons/svg, organized in sub-directories.

2. icons/svg/render-png.rkt, which renders all the SVG sources at
different heights (16, 24, 32, 48), in further sub-directories.

3. icons/svg/load-icon.rkt, which contains functions that make it easy
to load icons: it builds file names from info like style and height.

The last also has functions for composing icons at runtime, and
abstractions for common compositions. For example, this would make a
blue, diffuse version of the wide macro stepper icon:

    (icon-ht-append (load-icon "misc" "hash-quote-diffuse" height)
                    (step-icon "blue" "diffuse" height))

And `step-icon' builds an icon by appending a triangle and a bar.

Today, I'm going to change render-png.rkt to colorize icons by replacing
certain named gradients in the SVG sources.

Critiques or suggestions?

Also, I have questions.

1. Do icons have to be loaded with 'png/mask? Combining masked bitmaps
is kind of a pain.

2. What would you (or anyone) think of using Inkscape or another SVG
renderer as part of the build? Would it be better to not require it, and
just have anybody who changes the SVG sources re-run render-png.rkt?

Neil T

(Jay, before you get anxious about the FLOPS deadline, I've been working
on that, too. But this has been keeping my mind off being nauseated. I'm
just thankful I'm sick now instead of on Thanksgiving, like my little
brother. Hopefully, by now he can enjoy the piece of donut-cherry pie I
sent home with his wife.)