[racket-dev] generating tex with a different component order from Scribble

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 26 11:16:03 EST 2011

At Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:53:11 -0500, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> Given that I have an existing paper in Scribble, which I need to get
> into this format, which of the following would be
> easiest/prettiest/most useful for the future?
>
> - writing a new renderer
> - generalizing the existing latex renderer
> - hacking prefix.tex (although I don't see how this would work)

Probably the last option, followed by the second as needed.

> I think the most expedient thing is to add an option so that
> render-one method in latex-render.rkt doesn't include scribble-tex (or
> includes a replacement that you specify).

Replacing "scribble.tex" outright isn't likely to work. In a sense,
everything in that file is part of the renderer, since it defines
macros that the renderer relies on directly. It might be useful to have
some option or protocol to let "scribble.tex" be included at a
different time or explicitly included by the prefix.

> I don't know what the right general purpose fix would be, but it would
> be nice if that fix also had the property that scribble only puts
> \include{}s when we know that they are going to be needed (so we can
> deal with people who choose not to install texlive and still expect
> scribble to work (but get skull-related errors)).

I've changed the Latex renderer to include the "skull" package only if
needed. The "wasysym" and "textcomp" packages could be handled the same
way, I think, but I haven't heard that those are causing trouble.

Posted on the dev mailing list.