[racket-dev] nan?, infinite? and regular-real? [Was: Latest Plot Package]

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 18 14:13:12 EST 2011

I've moved this to dev from a private discussion with Doug, who has just
tried the nightly build.

On 11/18/2011 11:43 AM, Williams, Doug wrote:
> 2) The plot/utils has nan? and infinite?, which are also exported from
> the science collection and I had to explicitly exclude them in the
> require. Can we talk to the powers that be and see about getting them
> (and finite?) moved to racket/math? Then we can both remove them from
> our code. [I'm not sure about any interaction with the r6rs functions.]

Powers That Be, Doug and I would like `nan?' and `infinite?' to be in
`racket/math'.

I made an exact equivalent of Doug's `finite?', but called it
`regular-real?'. I use it in all kinds of function contracts (it returns
#f for non-reals). We would also like that one, with either name, in
`racket/math'.

That Doug and I both came up with identically behaving functions
independently, for our own use, has got to say something about their
utility.

I'll happily code and test them.

Neil T

Posted on the dev mailing list.