From: Stephen Chang (stchang at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun May 15 16:44:56 EDT 2011

>> I did run raco setup and I have some tools disabled (in fact,
>> everything except htdp, stepper, and lazy racket are disabled). But it
>> still shouldnt error, right?
>
> I guess. One might also say the problem is that you can't disable
> certain tools (without disabling others). I'm not sure what the proper
> response is here.
>
> But generally, I'd expect the teaching languages, the stepper, and the
> test stuff to have all be in or all be out. It doesn't seem worth the
> effort to try to make them work independently. (Altho the maintainers
> may disagree with me.)
>
> Maybe it would be good to add something so tools can register these
> dependencies and then drracket can complain if they aren't satisfied?

Yeah, I'd expect that if the Tools menu presents a list of items that
can be enabled/disabled, you should be able to enable/disable each
item independently of the other tools in the menu. Or at the *very*
least, you should get a message saying "you need to enable X tool".

The thing is, I've never gotten an error with my configuration of
enabled/disabled tools until now. Was there a recent change that would
trigger this error? I thought it was this stepper change, but after
some fiddling, it seems that the htdp tool requires the test-engine as
well (ie - if I have htdp enabled and test-engine disabled, I get a
similar error).

Posted on the dev mailing list.