[racket-dev] Racket startup

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jun 28 11:50:23 EDT 2011

Three minutes ago, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> >
> > 2. BTW, `-um- foo.rkt' would *not* be the same as `-R foo.rkt main',
> >   because `-m' is disconnected from a specific module.  That makes it
> >   still have some use as a more generic thing, but you pay for that
> >   with the verbosity of an explicit `provide'.
>
> I'm confused about how exactly this is different, except in the cases
> where `-um- foo.rkt' would error.

`-m' can work at any point on the command line, so you could `-t' a
bunch of modules, and add a `-m' in the end, and that will use
whatever `main' was provided.  That's why it's not specific to a
command-line module, so by its (more generic) design it can't be made
convenient by dropping the `provide'.