[racket-dev] [racket] getting symbol documentation URL quickly within Emacs

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jun 28 10:04:53 EDT 2011

Four minutes ago, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
> >> (2) things from libraries can be excluded from specific languages
> >>     because we know they won't run
> >
> > That won't work right too...  Should I list a whole bunch of
> > modules for my language?  What happens when one of these modules
> > becomes compatible when I or the module's author change something?
>
> So you're working in #lang racket as a naive Racket beginner, and
> you find some r6rs library that uses set-car!. Hey what a great
> idea! That enables me to do all the things I dutifully learned in a
> data structure course on linked lists. So I require it and it fails

Regardless of this, you're missing the main problem.  If you're in
drracket (or in a racket repl), you won't get to `set-car!', unless
you explicitly search everything.  But the problem is when the neabies
just points their browsers to doc.racket-lang.org/search/ and look for
stuff -- then, in that case, no context is possible.