[racket-dev] [racket] getting symbol documentation URL quickly within Emacs

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Jun 28 09:55:33 EDT 2011

6 minutes ago, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2011, at 3:00 AM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
> > "I feel lucky" thing is not going to be a useful feature.
> > It can work nicely in cases where bindings are relatively unique (for
> > example, `get-impure-port'), but getting it to do the right thing for
> > common names (like `cons') will be challenging, since you don't want
> > someone who works in the r6rs language to keep being frustrated by
> > getting the wrong docs.
>
> I guess one of the language properties should be
>
>  (1) constrain the doc search process so that forms are only found
>      in this language and in libraries

But there's no need for that.  When you're inside dr/racket, you have
the tools to get to the right binding.  When you're in Neil's shoes,
you really would prefer to do something similar (eg, what I mentioned
in that post) instead of going through the inherently imprecise search
thing.  Further, this "I'm feeling lucky" variation is no longer
analogous to the google thing, since it requires starting from some
racket file, rather than using the on-line search directly (where no
such context exists).

>  (2) things from libraries can be excluded from specific languages
>      because we know they won't run

That won't work right too...  Should I list a whole bunch of modules
for my language?  What happens when one of these modules becomes
compatible when I or the module's author change something?