[racket-dev] Should BSL signal an error on (require ...) in an unsaved buffer?

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 27 20:10:11 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 7:52 AM, John Clements
<clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2011, at 4:45 PM, Robby Findler wrote:
>
>> We're talking about relative requires only, right?
>>
>> How are you proposing to signal the error?
>
> My guess about how this works--correct me if I'm wrong--is that for unsaved buffers, DrR sets a parameter such that the expanded code has the current directory as (uh, part of?) the syntax-source of the expanded source.  I'm guessing that I'm not right, or it would be as simple as disabling this for programs written in BSL et al.

DrRacket does indeed set current-directory and could instead signal an
error instead of setting it. That would mean no unsaved file would
run, however. Is that really desired?

Also, this would not work for the #lang htdp/bsl versions of the
teaching languages.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.