[racket-dev] bug reporting system is not spam-protecting email addresses

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Jun 27 14:01:47 EDT 2011

Yesterday, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> Robby Findler wrote at 06/26/2011 08:06 AM:
> >  but do you think that that really helps avoid spam?
>
> Keeping email addresses off of Web pages does still help, IME.  I
> believe that the email list I use to subscribe to most email lists
> still gets no spam.

[There are probably significant differences between people like me who
give up on any attempted hiding (and Robby is in the same boat), and
people who do.  The former wouldn't see any difference, the latter
might to some degree.  (Looking at your email obfuscation, that's
probably something with an effectiveness that deteriorates fast...)]

> > I suspect we should fix this at least for appearances
>
> Yes, I think it's first and foremost an etiquette issue.

Changing gnats to do this sounded difficult (as in reqiuring me to
learn enough perl), but the code turned out to be organized enough so
this is implemented now.

1. The gnats script works as usual, except that every value that it
   displays goes through the common simple regexp-replace-based
   obfuscation.  The only emails left are unqualified ones that
   correspond to foo at racket-lang.org emails.

2. Better: when there is a user that is logged in, the above is
   disabled, so there's no problem with committing obfuscated
   addresses.

One nit: in the "audit trail" the obfuscation is "foo at bar.baz"
instead of "foo at bar dot baz".  I can fix that if anyone tells me
what's the perl equivalent of `regexp-replace' with a function.  (Or
better, if anyone knows enough perl, I'll send you the code.)