From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Jun 18 03:51:36 EDT 2011

Yes, I know that it's been doing that for a long time -- the reason I
said that I'd hope for a change is because I disliked it for a long
time...  I think that making the focus change without explicit
intention to do so is usually a bad idea.

But since it's been this way for a while I knew that it's unlikely to
change.  (Also, since it's been this way your fix makes more sense as
things currently are.)